"Many of my favorite memories come from the moments I have shared with you."
I miss my sister today. We talked the other day, and after what seemed like 20-30 minutes, I realized I had been on the phone for an hour and a half!
Growing up is a funny thing. You know it will happen, so you kind of think you know how it will be. It's a lot different than I imagined. The exciting parts are more exciting, and the sentimental parts are more of a new feeling that I never experienced. It's like embarking on a new adventure, and closing the door on a very real, and special part of your life both at once.
It's funny to remember using dandelions as bridal bouquets in our pretend weddings in the back yard, and forgetting you had to have a groom to complete the wedding party.
All our baby dolls were our children when we pretended to be mothers, and I always named my "children" after Kaity's "children". So, there were two Sarahs, two Janes, two Graces...etc. Some of our "children" were teddy bears or rabbits with floppy ears, but that did not bother us. In fact, I'm quite sure that we never even gave it a second thought.
Imagination was important to all our games. Bikes became horses, left over field corn became dinner, and large leaves & sticks became a way to write messages to float down rivers (which were actually puddles.)
Oh, we played the boys' games too. Indians & Settlers was definitely my favorite. But I also liked being a detective by the name of Sue, and following my older brothers very carefully, as we sneakily hid behind pine trees and other objects in the yard. I'm not really sure who we were spying on, but it didn't really matter.
The hayloft was a great place to play too. We each moved bales or piles of hay to create our own personal space. I owned the library and Kaity owned the kitchen, and I don't recall anymore what the boys' sections were.
It wasn't that long ago when we played all our childish games, and now we've grown up for real, and we're having real weddings, kitchens & children. :)
Life is so exciting, and always changing. Kaity has often reminded me to enjoy the place where I'm at now, wherever that currently is. Each part of life is a special gift from God, and it is a happy person who can be content right where God has them, when He has them there.

5 comments:
Wow! Continure to savor every moment because each season of life passes quickly.
Love, Mom T.
Sniff...sniff. What a sweet post, Lizzie! I'm so grateful to God for the wonderful siblings I've been blessed with. Andrew and I were talking the other day about the games we used to play. "Adults" was a favorite-each of us played we were ten years older. Then, it seemed like 10 years was so far away. Now, it's hard to believe ten years have already flown by.
That was the sweetest post...And don't you think sisters are just the greatest? I remember there would be times my sisters and I would fight and mom would always tell us that someday we would be the best of friends. Boy, was she right! Most of my childhood friends have moved on, but sisters-they remain constant, loved this post!
Just reading your post here, Liz, reminds me of growing up in our house. Each and every one of these memories are shared by many. I remember playing the same sorts of games with my brothers. For some reason though, Lawrence was always into the going to war thing. :) My name was "girl" and Lawrence's name was "boy"! Very original indeed! We took the roles of father, mother, son or daughter depending on the scene. I loved making grass soup in my outdoor kitchen!
Climbing tree's with Nate was always pretty fun too. Even when I got to the top and cried and cried until my hero (Nate) calmed me and lead me back down. :) I explored the whole world (okay, maybe it was just our back yard) with Nate!
Thanks, Liz, for this sweet post and reminder that life is but a vapor. Oh how important it is that we savor each season of life and serve our God with fervor as the days go by. May our lives truly count for eternity.
I continue to pray for you as you begin this new season of your life. Love you, Liz! Stay faithful!
What a sweet and tear-jerking post, Lizzie...and oh, so true! One of my younger sisters just got married a couple of weeks ago, and we were reminiscing over the years as brothers and sisters at home together, and at how much life is changing. My brother will be leaving for college in just a couple months and life will change again. Oh how true it is to treasure each and every day, with the memories they hold! Thanks for making my cry for a good reason!!! :) Treasure your last few days with your family...those will be special memories you will treasure forever.
~Stephanie Wesco
Post a Comment